A sunflower embroidery pattern is one of the most popular patterns in needlework. Floral embroidery patterns are always beautiful to look at, and can even be easy to do. Sunflowers symbolize happiness, which is why they are so common to use in embroideries!
Sunflowers typically grow in the summer and fall. A sunflower embroidery pattern can apply to summer, as it uses bright sunny colors. Sunflower embroidery can also be used for the fall, with earthy colors like brown and yellow. There is a variety of beautiful patterns to choose from, including easy patterns for beginners and more difficult embroideries for those with more experience.
Read further for a list of beautiful sunflower embroidery patterns. Some can be created by hand, while others may require a machine. These designs can be used to make patches for shirts, pillowcases, blankets, napkins and more.
Why You Should Make This Sunflower Embroidery
Because of their name, and the fact that they point themselves towards the sun, sunflowers are associated with the sun and a general sense of happiness. Moreover, sunflowers are associated with loyalty, adoration, and optimism. This makes them a popular flower to give as a gift, as well as a popular pattern for fabrics and garments. Sunflower embroidery patterns are some of the most common floral embroidery patterns, because they are associated with so many positive feelings!
These patterns can be easily handmade with simple colors and can make a wonderful gift as a bookmark or embroidered napkin. With a machine, you can create more complex designs, including a variety of colors and sizes of flowers. Patterns made with a machine are usually made with only one stitch, so the entire piece will look very clean and uniform for a more professional project.
How to Create a Unique Pattern
Sunflowers are beautiful, but sometimes you want to add more to your needlework for a more eye-catching piece. It’s very popular to add extra flowers to your pattern, including warm colors like maroon and orange, or even grass and sunflower leaves. Another creative addition could be a quote that inspires you and relates to the sunflower. You may want to use a machine to add words to your embroidery. You can include your name, or a nice quote. Here are some fun quotes to add to your pattern:
- “In a world full of roses, be a sunflower.”
- “There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy.”
- “Keep your face always towards the sunshine.”
- “Let the sun shine on your soul.”
- “Where flowers bloom, so does hope.”
- “Every flower blooms at its own pace.”
- “My soul is a meadow.”
Sunflower Cross Stitch Ideas
Sunflowers can be eye-catching on their own, but they also appear wonderfully in nature. You can choose a simple pattern with just flower petals, or you can choose a more complex pattern, like a sunflower meadow. Some stitches can be easily done by hand, while other patterns require multiple stitches. There are plenty of embroidery patterns that can be made on machines for a cleaner finish.
Easy Sunflower Patterns to Make by Hand
If you are a beginner, the easiest stitch to use is the cross-stitch. Many people who make embroideries by hand use a combination of stitches to make the elements of their design really stand out, including straight stitch, back stitch, running stitch and satin stitch. Most often, the French knot technique is used to create the center of a flower. Learning to embroider flower patterns can be easy once you have practiced enough to get the hand of the stitches.
- Cross-Stitch Cross-stitch is one of the easiest hand-made embroidery stitches!
- Pixelated Design This is another cross-stitch with a unique pixelated look.
- Pattern with Inspiring Quote This is a cute example of adding an inspiring quote to your image
- Crochet Necklace This embroidered necklace is unique and easy to make!
- Bees and Sunflowers A good way to add to your embroidery patterns is by including bumblebees! They are similar in color, but add a cute pop.
- Mask Stitching Adding a simple floral pattern onto your mask is a great way to spruce up your look!
- Embroidered Bookmark An embroidered linen bookmark makes the perfect gift. This is an example of a design on a bookmark.
Colorful Sunflower Embroidery Patterns for Hand Stitching
Sunflowers grow in late summer and early fall. This allows for a range of colors outside of just yellow and black for your sunflower embroidery patterns. You can include browns and greens as vines or grass, pink and purple flowers for summer, red and orange leaves for fall, or you can stitch the colors of the sky as the background for your pattern.
- Ring Embroidery This beautiful stitch is made by hand with a variety of stitches.
- Evening Meadow Scene This pattern is filled with a variety of colors and looks like the scene of a meadow in the evening.
- Stitch on Baby Clothes With so many bright colors, this pattern adds an adorable pop for baby clothes.
- Sunset Sunflower Field This stunning pattern is complex, but can be done by hand.
- Flowers Embroidery on a Hat How cute and colorful is this floral pattern? This embroidered hat would make a perfect gift.
- Rainbow Colored Flower Petals This is a unique take on a sunflower design. Instead of using yellow petals, you can make the petals all of the different colors of the rainbow.
- Vibrant Tote Bag Pattern Make a plain tote bag into a vibrant, beautiful accessory with this elaborate embroidery pattern.
- Elegant Woman This elegant design gives off a feminine feel, and even includes a sunflower quote at the bottom.
Sunflower Embroidery Patterns to Make with a Machine
When you are not making an embroidery pattern by hand, sometimes it is easier to use a machine. Learning how to use an embroidery machine takes time, so be sure to fully understand its intricacies before taking on a project like this. When using a machine, it is common to download an image to trace onto the fabric that you are embroidering.
- Fall Embroidery This pattern uses fall colors.
- Wreath Hoop This beautiful, colorful pattern would make the perfect summer decor!
- Simple Sunflower With just a few colors, this stunning pattern can be easily made with a sewing machine.
- Heart-Shaped Sunflower This pattern uses the sunflower stems to make an adorable heart shape!
- Bee Surrounded by Flowers you can make this bee embroidery surrounded by a ring of bright sunflowers.
Where to Use Your Designs
You can stitch onto an embroidery canvas, but you will likely want to display your design somewhere others can see it. If you are stitching by hand, you can create a pattern on just about anything! If you are using a machine, you may want to stick with fabrics and garments that you feel comfortable stitching on. An embroidered garment makes for an incredibly personal, unique gift that anyone would love to receive. Here are some unique ways to display your embroideries:
- Tote Bags or Backpacks
- Baseball Caps or Bucket Hats
- Linen Napkins
- T-Shirts or Hoodies
- Cloth Face Masks
- Hair Bows
- Baby Clothes
- Patches for jackets or shirts
- Stuffed animals