3D puff embroidery is just one way to add a little something extra to your embroidery designs! Whether you’re new to embroidery or have been practicing for years, there’s always something new to add to your arts and crafts tool box. 3D puff embroidery (literally) brings a bit of dimension to your designs – they will actually POP!
Creating 3D puff embroidery is almost the same as traditional embroidery, but it does involve extra steps. The first few steps of the process are the same as regular embroidery, but you’ll need to get more technical to achieve the puffy effect. 3D puff embroidery isn’t difficult to make, however, the majority of the time, you need a special embroidery machine to do it.
Puff embroidery involves using foam in order to achieve the puffy look. You can use embroidery foam or crafting foam. Let’s explore everything about 3D puff embroidery!
Why You Should Make This 3D Puff Embroidery
You’ve likely already seen puff embroidery without even realizing it! This type of embroidery is often used on baseball hats, backpacks, sports uniforms, and more. It’s an embellishment that features lettering or artwork that “puffs” out above the rest of the design.
Puff embroidery adds a 3-dimensional aspect to your creations. It helps make the focal point of your piece stand out – literally and figuratively! For example, if you’re making a jersey for your local sports team, you may want the mascot to stick out more than the lettering. With the 3D puff method, it’s possible.
If you’re intimidated by the thought of using an embroidery machine, or simply haven’t ever dabbled outside the world of hand embroidery, there’s no need to be scared! You can learn how to do this type of decoration for fabric if you have the right materials. Before you get started, let’s learn a little bit more why you should make this 3D puff embroidery.
What is Puff Embroidery?
3D puff embroidery has been around for years. Puff embroidery achieves a 3-dimensional effect through the use of foam and thread. Basically, you lay the foam on top of the part of your design that you want to be raised. With it securely fastened, you go over the foam with thread. That’s it!
Most people pair puff with flat embroidery to really make it stand out. Think of the lettering on your favorite baseball cap. It likely has puff embroidery on it.
The one caveat to 3D puff embroidery is that you can’t do it by hand. You must use a special embroidery machine.
What’s the Best Puff Embroidery Machine?
You have a few different options when it comes to investing in an embroidery machine. First, if you already have a standard sewing machine, dig out your user’s manual. You may have embroidering capabilities!
I suggest that you go for a sewing machine that can do embroidery. There’s no need to pay thousands for an embroidery-specific machine, especially for the designs below. Keep in mind – the best machines will have small screens and are able to connect to your computer.
Here are some of the best options:
- Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine
- Brother LB700 Embroidery Machine
Can you make 3D Puff Embroidery by Hand?
In order to create this type of embroidery, you will need a specialized machine. That said, there is a hand technique that involves wrapping large amounts of thread around a round plastic object, cutting it, and then resewing it.
You’ll also need to use a small piece of foam to achieve the 3D look you want. Place a small piece of foam under the excess thread that you need to reattach. Cover the foam with the thread (tightly) and secure it with another piece of thread. This approach works great for floral patterns!
You can find this technique here (it’s also on our list below) if you’re interested in trying it out!
3D Puff Embroidery Ideas
The most common place you’ll find 3D puff embroidery is on sports jerseys, backpacks, and baseball caps. But, that’s not the only place! You’ll also find this type of stitch on blouses, pants, and even home goods. Puff embroidery can also make a plain t-shirt look elegant and stylish. Plus, it looks great on placemats, tablecloths, pillows, and curtains. The possibilities are truly endless!
You can also use the ideas below to embroider winter ski hats, sweatshirts, and decorative wall hangings. Consider making your own holiday decorations this year! There are a few festive patterns below that would look great in your home.
3D Puff Embroidery Designs
What will you use puff embroidery on first?! Any of the designs below are great for beginners so even if you’ve never done this type of embroidery before, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and try it out! Remember that to get started you’ll need an embroidery machine. Test out your designs on a small piece of throwaway fabric first. That way, if you make a mistake you don’t have to worry about ruining it!
- 3D puff embroidery for any computerized project
- Puff 3D paw print
- Enchanted tree puff embroidery design
- Angel wings 3D puff design
- Fish tail initials design
Puff Embroidery Ideas for Sportswear
You know by now that sportswear is the most common place you’ll find this type of embellishment. Some ideas include a t-shirt with your favorite sports team’s name on it, a patch for a backpack, or the classic baseball hat! Experts can try to create a duplicate of their team’s logo.
- Volleyball heart 3D puff design
- Football puff embroidery pattern
- Athletic lettering design
- Football heart 3D design
- Sports teams logo 3D designs
3D Puff Embroidery Design Ideas
Get creative with your designs! Below are even more 3D puff embroidery ideas, including one that you won’t need a machine for. Perfect for true novices who are just getting into the craft!
- Shamrock 3D puff
- Adopt with paw print puff design
- Easy handmade flower puff design – no machine necessary!
- Anarchy 3D pattern
- Autumn tree puff design
More Pattern Ideas You’ll Love
- Holiday embroidery – If you want to trick out your house in a unique and fun way for the holidays, consider embroidering your own decorations! Not only will your home stick out amongst the rest, but the practice of sewing is also a great way to relax. There’s no more hectic time than the holiday season, so we know you’re looking for a laid-back activity. Reward the fruits of your labor by admiring your new wall art!
- Embroidered gifts – When’s the last time you were really excited to give someone a gift? If you have to scratch your head in wonder, don’t worry. Check out our selection of embroidered gifts. We’ve got some really great options for special occasions that are sure to be a hit. If you don’t have time to make a gift yourself, the second best thing is something that looks handmade!
- Floral embroidery – You can make floral embroidery anytime. Although some people may believe that flowers are reserved for spring and summer, we have to disagree. You know what they say, florals? For spring? Groundbreaking. Well, we love florals all year round! Some of our favorite embroidery design ideas include florals. Plants, trees, flowers, leaves, you name it, we love it. Florals are also some of the easiest embroidery designs for beginners.